Substitute Classroom Assistant
Unit: Child Development Services
Division: Early Learning & Family Services
Reports to: Teacher/Teacher Aide
FLSA Class: Non Exempt
Job Type: Full Time/On Call
This is an On-Call position that assists the Teacher/Teacher Aide in the daily classroom routine
High School Diploma or GED plus one year experience working with children age birth to five years old.
- Must have proof of COVID-19 vaccination
- Must be tested for Tuberculosis upon employment, testing done prior to employment will not be recognized
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must be willing to work as a team member.
- Must have concern for and understanding of low-income people.
- Must be aware and sensitive to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) related to free appropriate education to all children with disabilities identified as needing special education and related services
- Must believe that such children can benefit from inclusion in a regular Head Start/Early Head Start classroom setting.
- Ability to pass a Washington State Criminal Background Check.
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License
- Current auto liability insurance and a reliable vehicle
- First Aid/CPR certification (within 90 dyas0f employment)
- Food handlers Permit (within 90 days of employment)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSBILITIES
- In the absence of regular classroom staff, assist remaining staff in the daily routine of the classroom by supporting children in daily health routines including:
- a) hand washing
- b) diaper changes
- c) toilet learning
- d) tooth brushing.
- In the absence of regular classroom staff, assist in the daily routine of preparation, service and clean-up of meal service for children up to five years old.
- Interact with children in a developmentally appropriate manner, engage in conversations and activities.
- Take direction from the teacher/teacher aide.
- Report incidences of suspected child abuse to teacher/teacher aide and make a report to CPS.
- Maintain classroom Adult-Child ratios at all times
- Accept other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL/MENTAL FUNCTIONS
- Must be able to physically match the activity level of children, age birth to five years old.
- Position requires intermittent sitting, standing, walking, twisting and bending.
- Must be able to get down on the child’s eye level and floor.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Simple grasping and hand manipulation required as well as reaching above and below shoulder level.
- Must be able to withstand exposure to noise in a pre-school environment.
- Must be mentally alert and able to react quickly and appropriately when dealing with infants, toddlers and pre-school age children.
- Requires accuracy, good communication, judgment, and the ability to remain calm and provide appropriate advice and information.
KCR recognizes that ideas come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences. KCR is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, by honoring experiences, perspectives and unique identities of the community in which we serve. KCR provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, nation of origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state, and local law.