PAYLOAD INTEGRATION ENGINEER
Rocket Lab USA is seeking an experienced Payload Integration Engineer with previous launch vehicle or spacecraft integration experience. This role will work under the direction of a Principal Payload Integration Engineer and will report to the Director of Mission Management and Integration. The candidate must have demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas: spacecraft or launch vehicle integration, systems engineering, and/or electrical/mechanical systems.
The proper candidate will interface with spacecraft customer integration teams and direct and perform tasks associated with the physical spacecraft integration to the Electron launch vehicle. This role requires a candidate who works well with a multidisciplinary team and can hold their own when presented with technical challenges in front of both internal and external customers. The position is based in Long Beach, CA USA at Rocket Lab USA HQ, but requires frequent travel to customers and launch sites worldwide.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Performs hands-on payload integration activities, including fit checks, dispenser, and launch vehicle integration
- Assists management in on-site integration planning and performance of daily coordination meetings during launch site integration periods.
- Provides inputs for development and verification of Launch Vehicle to Spacecraft Interface Control Documentation (ICD)
- Ability to create and execute assembly integration instructions
- Provide customer support to answer questions with internal technical staff as required
- Remain in constant contact with engineering staff regarding mechanical and electrical design needs based on mission requirements for the spacecraft integration.
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering or technical discipline – Mechanical, Electrical or Aerospace degree preferred + 2-3 years or more of applicable experience
- Solid interpersonal and organizational skills
- Previous launch vehicle or space hardware integration experience
- Ability to understand technical constraints relative to payload integration
- Solid presentation and technical writing skills
- Ability to travel to launch sites and customer sites including overseas (New Zealand and others)
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- ITAR – knowledge of ITAR requirements and importance of TAA's
- Experience with CubeSats, SmallSats, or other small space payloads
- Ability to read mechanical and electrical drawings
- Ability to perform electrical and mechanical testing
- US Government security clearance Secret or TS/SCI