Axle Informatics is a bioscience and information technology company that offers advancements in translational research, biomedical informatics, and data science applications to research centers and healthcare organizations nationally and abroad. With experts in biomedical science, software engineering, and program management, we focus on developing and applying research tools and techniques to empower decision-making and accelerate research discoveries. We work with some of the top research organizations and facilities in the country including multiple institutes at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Axle is seeking a highly ambitious, adaptable, structured, and detail-oriented Management Analyst to join our vibrant team at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) supporting the Fogarty International Center (FIC) located in Bethesda, MD.
Overall Position Summary and Objectives Provide support services to satisfy the overall operational objectives of the Fogarty International Center. The primary objective is to provide services and deliverables through performance of support services.
- Work products and documents related to working with staff to develop spreadsheets for tracking budgets; provide summaries to be used to evaluate spending patterns; maintaining office records including office procurements and reimbursement procedures; exploring and recommending the most efficient travel options which are most advantageous to the government; creating and maintaining specialized spreadsheets to facilitate budget planning. - Weekly
- Work products and documents related to gathering, analyzing and preparing justifications for administrative requests, travel requests, professional service orders, requests for sponsored travel (Form 348), outside activities (Form 520), official duty memoranda, training requests, individual/mass mailings, correspondence, reports and various other forms; input requests into NIH databases. - Weekly
- Work products and documents related to summarizing the content of incoming materials, especially gathered information, or meetings; in the executive level’s absence ensure that requests for action or information are relayed to the appropriate staff in a timely manner; Developing, maintaining and utilizing various scientific databases. - Weekly
- Work products and documents related to collaborating with staff on budget tracking and protocol management for the African Postdoctoral Training Initiative (APTI); assisting with coordination of special projects for the APTI. - Ad-Hoc
- Work products and documents related to coordinating daily office operations; gathering and analyzing information about processes and programs; providing itinerary planning, schedule coordination, preparation and follow through on all required travel requests; providing support for scientific retreats, meetings and conference and advisory board meetings; performing data entry and processes actions in extramural-related databases. - Weekly
- Provides analysis and advisory services regarding management functions.
- Analyze information requirements to develop reporting systems including the systems specifications, data gathering and analytical techniques, and systems evaluation methodology.
- Prepare business process reviews, studies and reports on efficiency.
- Facilitate business process improvement activities, to include documenting as-is processes, gathering to-be requirements and validating capture with staff.
- Prepares a variety of management and administrative studies to analyze and evaluate internal procedures, policies, processes and systems for the purpose of improving efficiency.
- Analyze and evaluate proposed changes in operating procedures and draft standard operating procedure and
- Reviews and comments on new or proposed changes to existing policies, procedures or systems.
- Conduct assessments of standard operating procedures (SOP) and prepares recommendations for improvement.
- Assess business strategies and operating plans for consistency with variety of institutional, governmental and industry standards and best practices and draft reports for upper management.
- Prepares reports in the areas of budget, procurement, HR, travel, etc.
- Review administrative audit and investigative reports to determine appropriate changes.
- Review operational and programmatic budget data and provide analysis of obligation and spending.
- Prepare detailed reports based on research and findings and present at meetings and briefings.
- Reviews policy and regulation that governs the activities performed in the program.
- Review business, operations and program plans for consistency and compliance with institutional and governmental policies.
- Prepares reports and presentations for meetings.
- Attend routine staff and business meetings for awareness and to take notes for distribution.
- Capture meeting minutes and prepare final documentation for distribution to participants.
- Present information and status updates on projects and studies ongoing within the organization.
- Researches and suggests developing areas of management policy.
- Assists operational and program staff identify, capture and evaluate unique performance criteria.
- Work with staff to develop spreadsheets for tracking budgets; provide summaries to be used to evaluate spending patterns.
- Monitor and verify accuracy of data; research and analyze records; identify and correct discrepancies.
- Collaborate with staff on budget tracking and protocol management .
- Serve as the POC and requestor for POTS system.
- Inventory supplies and equipment; prepare and submit training, supply, equipment, service and advertisement orders; coordinate with vendors to obtain quotes and ensure receipt of items.
- Gather, analyze and prepare justifications for administrative requests; input requests into NIH databases.
- Work with staff to coordinate resources as they relate to ongoing activities.
- Assist with coordination of special projects for FIC Center WIde.
- Maintain office records including office procurements and reimbursement procedures.
- Design and coordinate systems for communications among staff to facilitate the efficient flow of information relating to projects and program activities.
- In the executive level’s absence ensure that requests for action or information are relayed to the appropriate staff; decide whether executive level should be notified of important or emergency issues. 2
- Summarize the content of incoming materials, specially gathered information, or meetings; coordinate the new information with background office sources; draw attention to important parts or conflicts.
- Coordinate the preparation of a variety of documents on behalf of the Executive Officer such as travel requests, professional service orders, requests for sponsored travel (Form 348), outside activities (Form 520), official duty memoranda, training requests, individual/mass mailings,correspondence, reports and various other forms. 1
- Gather and analyze information about processes and programs; prepare reports, letters and other documents for review and input for various programs, policies and activities.
- Develop, maintain and utilize various scientific databases.
- Work with staff to create and manage APTI database; monitor information for relevance and accuracy.
- Update/maintain shared calendars; manage appointments, commitments and invitations for the Office of Director staff.
- Schedule workshops and conferences.
- Coordinate daily office operations, including, but not limited to, organization and prioritization of tasks, and responding to written and oral communications. 4
- Note commitments made by executive level during meetings and collaborate with Federal staff to implement them.
- Coordinate, prepare and submit local travel, complex foreign and domestic travel authorizations, sponsored travel and travel vouchers. Apply knowledge of Federal Travel Regulations, Health and Human Services Travel Policy and the National Institutes of Health Travel Policy. Ensuring all required documentation andjustifications are included to facilitate efficient approvals.
- Explore and recommend the most efficient travel options which are most advantageous to the government when making travel arrangements for airfare, train, and hotels; prepare required documents and justifications for special requests and secure advance approval when needed.
- Provide itinerary planning, schedule coordination, preparation and follow through on all required travel requests; arrange for issuance of official passports and visas; submit and track travel documentation.
- Determine expenses covered by sponsors; ensure all sponsored travel invitation letters follow government regulation; acquire approval for acceptance of sponsorship through Ethics Office.
- Independently, arrange for senior staff to represent the organization at conferences and meetings, establish appointment priorities, or reschedule appointments or invitations.
- In the executive level’s absence ensure that requests for action or information are relayed to the appropriate staff in a timely manner.
- Forward updated website content and changes to IC Communications Division to maintain current and accurate website content.
- Maintain and utilize various databases to perform research or data input for programs and projects.
- Create and maintain specialized spreadsheets to facilitate budget planning.
- Maintain data in local databases and prepares reports for program staff.
- Perform data entry and processes actions in extramural-related databases.
- Query material or data from databases and run standard reports on funded scientists.
- Provide Technical knowledge and support in developing and evaluating the administrative program, establishing process and procedures and maintaining files.
- Produces various detailed reports for use by upper management.
- Develops project management documentation 3
- Monitors and reports progress to project owners. 5
- Conducts project analysis and reports to upper management.
- Develops and tracks project budgets.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 represents priority rankings, where 1 is highest priority and 5 is lowest priority of those ranked
Certifications & Licenses
- Certified Adminstrative Assistant
Field of Study
- Business Management and Administration
- Expense reconciliation, project management/planning, timekeeping, fellowship program management
- Social Media, knowledge of the Federal Travel Regulation
- Project management, website content management
- Meeting minutes/summary reports
- Executive level support
- Meeting coordination
- Outreach Activities
- Travel planning
- Data analysis
- 100% Medical Dental & Vision Coverage for Employees
- Educational Benefits for Career Growth
- Paid Time Off (Including Holidays)
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Profit Sharing
- 401K Matching
- Flexible Spending Accounts:
- Healthcare (FSA)
- Parking Reimbursement Account (PRK)
- Dependent Care Assistant Program (DCAP)
- Transportation Reimbursement Account (TRN)
The diversity of Axle’s employees is a tremendous asset. We are firmly committed to providing equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will not tolerate any illegal discrimination or harassment based on age, race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, status with respect to public assistance, and other characteristics protected under state, federal, or local law and to deter those who aid, abet, or induce discrimination or coerce others to discriminate.
Accessibility: If you need an accommodation as part of the employment process please contact: email@example.com
Disclaimer: The above description is meant to illustrate the general nature of work and level of effort being performed by individual’s assigned to this position or job description. This is not restricted as a complete list of all skills, responsibilities, duties, and/or assignments required. Individuals may be required to perform duties outside of their position, job description or responsibilities as needed.