The IT Systems Engineer is responsible for the implementation and operation of the different computing platforms, networks and applications that are required at Rocket Lab. Carrying out upgrades, maintenance, and having a focus on continuous improvement are key to provide a reliable and secure infrastructure. To achieve this a focus on monitoring the environment and responding to incidents, problems, requests, and planning for growth is required.
Provides subject matter expertise, advise, and guidance to deliver and support IT systems through efficient management and support of the IT Infrastructure and the delivery of projects. Collaborates with the IT Manager, the IT Team, and other key stakeholders to set targets, goals and deadlines.
Ensure that systems are compliant with applicable standards to maintain robust information security in accordance with PSR and NIST 800-171.
Systems & Network
- Deployment and management of server and network hardware; switches, routers, wireless APs, virtual hosts, etc
- Deployment and management of applications including updates and patching
- Monitoring and reporting of the environment including OS capacity, hardware/software activities, and resource utilization
- Capacity planning to predict growth and provide recommendations
- Procurement of equipment and related software/licensing
- Debug, assist and resolve issues as they arise
- Ability to assist and work remotely to resolve issues
- Ensure that all systems are backed up correctly and that this is tested regularly
- Assist the IT Manager in the development and update of policies, standards and guidelines
- Delivery of robust information security
- Enable on time delivery of Launch services through provision of IT
- Enable on time delivery of Research and Development projects through provision of IT
- Identify and assess risks. Assist in planning and implementation to reduce, remove, or mitigate risk
- Ensure that systems are compliant with applicable standards to maintain robust information security in accordance with PSR and NIST 800-171
Design and Architect
- Assist with the design, implementation and documentation of IT systems and services
- Produce high level and detailed design documents
- Produce and update "as built" and other documentation
- Manage any IT implementation projects
- Create process milestones and checks to ensure project development is meeting high level requirements
- Provide project plan and regular updates
- Identify and resolve challenges and roadblocks
Develop and/or maintain key relationships with:
- IT Manager, to ensure IT activities are in-line with corporate objectives, policies and standards;
- Key Stakeholders in US and NZ, to ensure IT activities are in-line with corporate objectives, policies and standards;
- Mentor and support the staff within the IT team to be motivated, effective and efficient in their roles, and provide opportunities for growth and development through coaching opportunities
- External IT suppliers, to ensure consistent provision of service across all sites
- The Rocket Lab management team, to ensure delivery of IT services to meet the requirements of each department
- Assist IT Manager to ensure budgets are accurate and maintained to support financial reporting requirements
- Ensure all company financial policies and procedures are followed
- Provide live support during launch and test operations
- Domestic and international travel may be required
Health & Safety
- Correct PPE is worn in designated areas
- Near misses and incidents are reported promptly
- Additional duties as reasonably required including after-hours.
- Participate in the on-call roster.
- Procurement of hardware and software; creating purchase orders, writing justifications, tracking, receipting.
- Produce well written and easy to understand documentation.
- Track and update service desk and project tickets and other documentation.
- Follow and suggest improvements to all Rocket Lab standards policies, processes and procedures.
Technical / Experience
- 5+ years in a technical role.
- Advanced problem solving and analytical skills – able to see the big picture, make connections and appropriate decisions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to lead teams and work independently or as part of a team.
- Experience with most and in-depth knowledge in at least one of:
- Windows and/or Linux server (Ubuntu/Debian) enterprise environments.
- Virtualization technologies, public / private cloud.
- Active Directory and Group Policy.
- Database and reporting technologies: MS SQL, Power BI, MySQL, Tableau, etc
- Modern web-based applications including hosting, troubleshooting, security, etc.
- Security frameworks and technology: ISO 27001, NIST 800-171, IPSEC, SSL VPNs, firewalls, etc.
-Cloud based technologies: Azure, AWS, O365, etc.