Axle Informatics is a bioscience and information technology company that offers advancements in translational research, biomedical informatics, and data science applications to research centers and healthcare organizations nationally and abroad. With experts in biomedical science, software engineering, and program management, we focus on developing and applying research tools and techniques to empower decision-making and accelerate research discoveries. We work with some of the top research organizations and facilities in the country including multiple institutes at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Axle is seeking a highly ambitious, adaptable, structured, and detail-oriented Emergency Management Program Support to join our vibrant team at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) supporting the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) located in Bethesda, MD.
Overall Position Summary and Objectives The purpose of this position is to support the Emergency Management section of NIH/NINDS. Candidate must be able to respond to emergency events that impact institute laboratories and administrative offices, including material storage units such as ultra-low temperature freezers containing critical research or irreplaceable samples. Response may occur during normal business hours as well as after-hours, weekends, and holidays as necessary. Response activities may include physical actions of deploying tarps or extension cords, relocating equipment, relocating scientific samples and materials, handling dry ice and/or liquid nitrogen, and other activities to reduce impact to scientific operations.
- Inspect Equipment - Ad-Hoc
- Meet with lab members to present updates - Ad-Hoc
- Coordinates the functioning of building systems including mechanical, fire and life safety, elevators, etc.
- Coordinate with emergency response teams, stakeholders, and institute management during emergency events. (Level of communication will depend on the severity of the scenario). Work with Principal Investigators (PI) and laboratory staff to address immediate concerns following emergencies and aid in recovery efforts. 3
- Work with partner groups such as animal facility, IT, building maintenance, fire department, police, etc. during planning, response, and recovery activities. -Assist with tracking and facilitating the resolution of facility-related maintenance, safety, and fire safety issues. 4
- Place orders and coordinate with vendors to support mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery activities.
- Coordinates and facilitates renovation projects.
- Maintain institute equipment mapping systems and emergency plans to ensure priority research and critical equipment loss is minimized during emergency events.
- Maintain response supply inventory and equipment required for emergencies in designated institute locations, including mobile command equipment, two-way radios, flashlights, etc.
- Support the administration of the central environmental monitoring system. Activities include: Coordinate monitoring equipment installation for designated laboratory equipment, Ensure system notification lists are updated, Install probes in designated equipment, and Troubleshoot offline inputs.
- Develops plans for all renovation projects, taking into account feasibility from architectural, engineering and budgetary perspectives.
- Assist with tracking and facilitating the resolution of facility-related maintenance, safety, and fire safety issues.
- Coordinate with contractors and vendors to execute relevant Division of Emergency Management and Operations Support activities.
- Support partner groups and assist in joint projects as directed by the Division of Emergency Management and Operations Support.
- Coordinates space, telecommunications, safety, timelines, etc., for relocation of staff and installation of utility systems for specialized equipment or functions as needed.
- Maintain accurate institute/PI ownership labeling and laboratory emergency contacts on all material storage equipment including but not limited to freezers, refrigerators, incubators, and under-counter storage refrigeration and freezer units.
- Identify and address building and laboratory safety concerns to improve staff safety, equipment protection, and data preservation. 5
- Develop and distribute emergency and safety information handbooks and/or other supporting materials.
- Support the implementation and maintenance of COVID-19 plans, policies, and Return to Work activities.
- Coordinates with division of safety staff to ensure all safety policies are implemented and maintained.
- Coordinate with emergency response teams, stakeholders, and institute management during emergency events. (Level of communication will depend on the severity of the scenario). Work with Principal Investigators (PI) and laboratory staff to address immediate concerns following emergencies and aid in recovery efforts. 1
- Develop/implement/maintain COOP plans and SOPs for a variety of emergency scenarios for designated institute locations. 2
- Maintain volunteer evacuation staff listing and evacuation process. Coordinate with stakeholders to address deficiencies and/or improve processes.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 represents priority rankings, where 1 is highest priority and 5 is lowest priority of those ranked
Certifications & Licenses
- College degree or courses in Emergency Management, public safety, or a related field.
Field of Study
- Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies
- Experience in emergency management is advantageous
- Flexibility ot make quick decisions as disasters change and develop.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Knowledge of government facility regulations and environmental, health and security standards
- 100% Medical Dental & Vision Coverage for Employees
- Educational Benefits for Career Growth
- Paid Time Off (Including Holidays)
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Profit Sharing
- 401K Matching
- Flexible Spending Accounts:
- Healthcare (FSA)
- Parking Reimbursement Account (PRK)
- Dependent Care Assistant Program (DCAP)
- Transportation Reimbursement Account (TRN)
The diversity of Axle’s employees is a tremendous asset. We are firmly committed to providing equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will not tolerate any illegal discrimination or harassment based on age, race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, status with respect to public assistance, and other characteristics protected under state, federal, or local law and to deter those who aid, abet, or induce discrimination or coerce others to discriminate.
Accessibility: If you need an accommodation as part of the employment process please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: The above description is meant to illustrate the general nature of work and level of effort being performed by individual’s assigned to this position or job description. This is not restricted as a complete list of all skills, responsibilities, duties, and/or assignments required. Individuals may be required to perform duties outside of their position, job description or responsibilities as needed.