Our goal is to create magical experiences for kids by utilizing youth development principles and the power of fun and play. We implement our original Splat Lab™ and Anthropology Arts™ curriculum in schools, after-school programs, and run our own camps.
Our original enrichment programs reach over 40 schools across New York City. We currently serve grades 3K - 6th grade and are looking to expand our middle school and high school programming. In 2020 we launched our own summer camp (Splat Camp) in Downtown Brooklyn. In 2021, after rebounding from the pandemic, we doubled our size from our pre-pandemic levels and have our eyes on healthy growth across NYC and beyond.
Our Core Values
- Make Magic. We create magical and fun experiences for kids throughout NYC and beyond
- Dream Big. for the future of Splat and ourselves
- Collaborate. We co-create and build relationships with youth, clients, and each other
- Culture. We teach the history of underrepresented communities in a joyful, powerful, and holistic style with a diverse teaching staff
- Outliers. We embrace the weird and stand out from the pack with our unique programming and elite OPS execution
Splat Lab was established in 2015 with a micro team serving 5 schools. We have rapidly expanded the past 2 years, especially after schools reopened in the fall of 2021. We currently have 4 full-time staff and an educator pool of over 50 teaching artists. Our staff largely communicates remotely and educators are not supervised on a daily basis at their school placements. We plan to add more full-time and part-time roles as we continue to scale up. The ideal candidate is a savvy self-starter who can take the lead in building an HR & talent development department to take us to the next level. If you are a go-getter who wants the opportunity to grow a department to its full potential, this is the position for you.
Key Responsibility Buckets
Talent and Culture Development
- Work directly with the founder to develop world class internal training programs, create pipelines for talent recruitment and ensure compliance across the company
- Build partnerships with schools of education and youth development programs to recruit educators and interns
- Design and launch company wide performance management based on core values
- Improve our unique system for hiring and manage the hiring process
- Work with the finance team to develop innovative strategies for team members to earn bonuses and commissions
- Improve the use of software and systems to manage staff
- Oversee employee disciplinary meetings, exit interviews, terminations, and investigations in collaboration with direct managers
- Build the department and recruit a talent team as the organization grows
- Maintain compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; review internal policies and practices to maintain compliance; develop new policies and processes
- Lead documentation and correspondence with all required governing agencies, as needed
Payroll and Benefits Management
- Administer the organization's payroll and onboarding platform (Gusto), which includes onboarding, employee contracts, payroll, time management, and performance management
- Maintain accurate employee data and records, including interview forms, hiring recommendations, promotions, transfers, terminations, employee performance reviews, background checks, references, etc.
- Develop a competitive and cost-effective employee benefits plans and programs
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, & project management tools (e.g. Asana, Gusto)
- Entrepreneurial spirit and desire to work in a startup environment
- Ability to work 80% remote and the strong communication skills that come with being a leader in a largely remote environment
- Interest in working with an education company and alignment with our core values
- Experience in education a huge plus but not required
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required. Master’s Degree a plus
- A minimum of 3-4 years of human resource management experience is preferred, including a combination of talent development, compliance experience, HR, benefits admin, payroll admin, and recruitment
Salary Range: $70,000 base salary, bonuses for meeting milestones
Paid time off, personal days
- Health coverage
- 401K with employer matching contributions
- Free passes to our camp programs for your children
Application Process and Timeline
After screening resumes, first round candidates will be asked to work on a project related to the positions. Final round candidates will be invited to an in person interview at our Bushwick, Brooklyn office in August.