Rakuten Medical, Inc. is a global biotechnology company developing precision, cell-targeting investigational therapies on its Illuminox™ technology platform, which utilizes antibodies conjugated with payloads that are specifically activated at the tumor site.
Our first clinical product received marketing approval in Japan from the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare for ASP-1929 PIT to treat unresectable locally advanced or recurrent head and neck cancer - and is also in Phase III pivotal clinical testing globally to treat terminal cancer patients. This is a first-in-class product with unique pharmacological activity and with the potential to have a broad impact in cancer.
Rakuten Medical is committed to its mission to conquer cancer and aims to realize a society where cancer patients can lead fulfilling lives. Headquartered in the United States, Rakuten Medical has 6 locations in 5 countries, Japan, the Netherlands, Germany and Taiwan. For more information, visit www.rakuten-med.com.
The role contributes to the Global Corporate Development team to achieve important objectives. As the Associate Director/Director reporting to the Vice President, Global Corporate and Business Development, you will work collaboratively across many functions (including Clinical Development, Clinical Ops, Legal and Finance) to support evaluations of new investment/business opportunities and subsequent activities of materializing these opportunities.
You are a very hands-on individual responsible for leading and owning the overall company valuation modeling effort as well as developing tools for and facilitating assessments of investment/business opportunities based on rNPV, IRR, and other financial metrics. You will contribute to due diligence, development of integration strategy and ensuring the company’s tactical execution against that strategy. You will have prior direct experience in Finance and demonstrate a broad working-level familiarity with standard business processes and complex financial modelling.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and own company valuation model along with various decision-making models (including vendor negotiation, partnership, acquisition and PDC investment models).
- Maintain and improve detailed financial models that track long-term forecasts and analyze functional costs and their impact on the Rakuten Medical’s overall valuation.
- Complete ad hoc analysis and decision support focused on requirements of organization including the evaluation and tracking of capital expenditure and investment opportunities.
- Research target industries & companies, and conduct in-depth analyses using traditional and advanced methods
- Prepare market research and competitive intelligence to identify insights that drive key decisions across the organization
- Work collaboratively and cross-functionally to develop, coordinate, manage, and deliver on the Commercial strategic objectives for Illuminox pipeline
- Support and participate in the development of forward-looking strategies, market positioning, and product profile by synthesizing primary and secondary inputs that will inform the development and lifecycle plan
- Identify and collaborate with internal network partners and external resources to deliver
- Collaborate with internal partners to drive lifecycle strategy planning and execution
- Track, understand, and communicate the therapeutic market trends across multiple perspectives (e.g., commercial, managed markets, clinical, and scientific)
- Proactively monitor and evaluate market developments and changes in competitive landscape for key therapeutic areas/markets
- Lead preparation of a variety of documents and reports including presentations in PowerPoint, Excel, and Word
- Work with cross-functional teams to help develop strategy, resulting in follow on work to landscape, source, research and analyze business models
Desired Education, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree required; business or scientific graduate degree preferred
- Qualification experience with strong financial planning and analysis, including experience working in the life science or pharmaceuticals industry and knowledge of the accounting practices desired.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills; ability to work with a diverse team and influence/drive change across functional and business boundaries.
- Strong planning and analytical skills with extensive valuation/financial modeling experience, including superior financial modeling in Excel.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong prioritization skills with ability to run multiple projects simultaneously
- Desire to be in a hands-on, roll up your sleeves "working" Associate Director role preparing and completing the work yourself
- Excellent business acumen, demonstrated ability to align teams to strategy to achieve business and project objectives
- Experience leading and facilitating project team meetings, cross-functional communication and decision making, and ensuring ongoing alignment with internal/external stakeholders
- Proactive and strategic thinker, with strong facilitation and problem-solving skills
- Highly collaborative with outstanding communication and relationship management skills, and high emotional intelligence
- Adaptive leadership style with ability to influence teams without formal authority
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams in a matrixed global organization
Travel Requirements (Post-COVID)